How to automatically show your website's news on your Twitter page
Many of our clients website's have news or blog sections, where they post news and updates.
This article shows you how to have your news headlines appear on your Twitter page automatically after posting them on your website.
What are the benefits of doing this?
- Update your website and your twitter page at the same time
- You’re using your Twitter page to encourage people to view the new content on your website.
This can be done not only with news posts, but also with other types of content such as products or tours, for example, which you add to your website through your content management system.
The news / blog system that we set up for you includes an RSS feed, which your users can use to automatically be notified of new posts.
We'll use a free service from Google called FeedBurner.com to enable Twitter to read your RSS feed and display the latest posts on your Twitter page.
- Go to Twitter.com and sign in. If you don't already have a twitter account for your business set one up!
- Go to Feedburner.com and sign up (free). If you have a Google account (or a @gmail.com address) you can sign in with your Google account.
- Enter the URL of your website's RSS feed. The URL will usually be http://www.yourwebsite.co.za/rss.php. If you don't know what your RSS feed URL is please ask us. Press Next.
- Follow the prompts. You can just press next all the way.
- When FeedBurner tells you your feed is set up click on the Publicize tab
- Under Publicize section click on the Socialize link in the left menu.
- Click on the Add Twitter Account button.
- In the pop up window click on the Authorize App button.
- Once you are redirected back to FeedBurner click on the Activate button right at the bottom.
New news posts will now appear on your Twitter feed automatically. The tweets will link directly to the new post on your website. It normally takes a few hours after posting the new item on your website before it will show up on Twitter.
Example: Check out http://twitter.com/PartyWeddingG. The Party Wedding Guide’s twitter profile automatically lists new business listings and forthcoming events, which they add through their website’s content management system.
FeedBurner has many other features other than posting to your Twitter profile, such as managing mailing lists feed subscribers. Feel free to experiment and explore.